Report Abuse

Skip to main content

Blog #1 - Warren Kramer

 Warren Kramer, May 17, 2020 

This my story when I was at the Summer Session at Gallaudet in 1967: 

I came to the USA with my parents in 1967. At first we arrived at the Gallaudet campus  a little too early. After looking around the campus a bit... we walked into Hall Memorial  Building. I see two doors... on our left... “President”. On our right... “Dean”. We walked  further on... saw on one door (I think)... “Registrar”. My parents and I went in. A woman  came to the counter... It was Mrs. Shope. My mum said something as “Can we have  Warren registered please?” Mrs. Shope gave us details when and where to register. 

It was another day to register. I don’t remember the actual date. We went back to the  hotel we were staying in Washington DC. While waiting we took some day tours  around Washington DC... saw places including the White House, the Capitol, the  Jefferson Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial, the Library of Congress... all beautiful  buildings.  

On Registration Day we went back to the Gallaudet Campus. We went back to the Hall  Memorial Building and saw a lot students and some parents (maybe) waiting just  outside by the Student Lounge. 

When my turn came up... I was handled two textbooks... one about American Sign  Language, “Say it with Hands”; the other book about Algebra 2. 

Then we were told to go to Krug Hall... the dormitory for men... on entering I was  impressed by the foyer. The lady at the counter gave me bed sheets etc. and the key  for my room... upstairs on the second level. My parents followed me up. (Assuming  ground level is ground level and not first level). 

On entering my room I met my new roommate... Stewart Kay from Canada. It was a  nice room with 2 beds, 2 desks, and 2 lock up wardrobes. (The wardrobes were built  in). 

My parents went back to the hotel after a few days. 

Later in the day all the new students went to one of the larger lecture theatres in the  Hall Memorial Building... we all met Harvey Corson and Frank Turk... Oh! Mr. Turk had  the American Crew Cut haircut! Mr. Turk signed only. Mr. Corson spoke as well as  signing (I cannot remember whether he signed or not). 

After this “Welcome to Gallaudet”... we were free for a while. I think I went to have a  look at the building where the art classes were... Washburn. 

Then it was almost tea time... the Dining room was in Student Union Building.

Then we had a curfew... everyone must go to bed at 10 pm. I was back in my room  after exploring more of the campus... I noticed the Post Office in the basement of  Student Union Building... also the day cafe. There were automatic (vending) machines  there for sandwiches and coffee etc. 

The next day we were to start our classes at 8 am. The classes were in Dawes  House. This is where the Tutorial Centre was. 

Dr. Elstad, the College President, allowed my parents to stay on campus for the next  few days until it was time for them to go back to Australia. 

As time went on, I was called to see Mrs. Auerbach... she said... “Your maths are  alright, but what about your signs?”. I was not picking up my American signs very  well. “I thought fingerspelling is too fast for me”, I said. 

One night... in our room at the Krug Hall dormitory... Stewart talked about the curfew  and food to eat at supper time. We went off campus from time to time to buy food etc.  in H Street NE. We were told not to go off campus at night without company. We were  told it was quite safe in the day time. About the curfew... Stewart said... “This place is  like a jail!” 

At the end of this Summer Session... my grades were... Algebra 2: B... “S” is  satisfactory ... Sign Language: “U” meaning unsatisfactory. I was encouraged to go  on. For the remainder of the Summer I had permission to stay on campus. I had a  room in Fowler Hall. 

Now came the beginning of the First Semester, 1967/68. All the students returned from  the Summer break. 

On the first day of this semester there was a lot of testing to see who will stay  preparatory students or become Freshmen/Freshwomen. 

Only about four or five students were to become Freshmen/Freshwomen. Most  students had to stay preps. But there were some students who did both Prep and  Freshmen subjects. I was qualified to be a Freshman!  

I moved to Ely Hall dormitory for the first year. I met Mr. Clayton, the Dean of Men... he  said, “Make sure you lock your door!” 

End of my story. Please let everyone of Class ‘71 know. 

PS: O my God... I will be 80 years old next July.