Report Abuse

Skip to main content

Blog #16 - Tanya Fain Mills


Tanya Fain Mills (revised 1/30/2021) 

Born in 1949 and contracting spinal meningitis, I became deaf and my parents were told  not to let me sign or I would never talk. I went to a private deaf oral school in Dallas  from age 2 for about 10 years then I went to a regional day school program for a year  where I learned some sign language. 

Then my parents decided to send me and Lisa Gilbert Bosson (only deaf girls) to a  private hearing school named Hockaday School. That hearing school was a preparatory  school for females only. At that time interpreters were never heard of and we had to sit  in the front row trying to read teachers’ lips. Hearing students took turns taking class  notes for us.  

We stayed there 3 years (8-10th grades). It was difficult to make friends with the  hearing girls and we always were left out in classroom discussions. It was a tedious 3- year experience for Lisa and me!!! We would go home frustrated, lost and unhappy. 

Luckily, our parents heard about Gallaudet College and we passed the college entrance  exams. In 1966, we were admitted into the preparatory classes to make up for the 11th  and 12th grades we missed at Hockaday. 

When I first saw deaf students on campus signing, I was so astonished and for the first  time in my life, I had found a “home” where I finally felt accepted for who I was: deaf. I  had made so many deaf and hard of hearing friends. My ASL flourished, and I finally  understood what was going in classes and participated in class discussions! 

I thank Gallaudet College for making a difference in my life and helping me become a  truly proud Deaf person today. The 5 years at Gally were my favorite and fun times!