Report Abuse

Skip to main content

Blog #2 - John Egbert

John Egbert, May 25, 2020 

John F. Egbert, born Deaf to hearing parents, 

Same Deaf group that 95% of us having hearing parents. 

Gallaudet changed my life 

I didn’t know sign language 

The definition of interaction in communication is deep 

Until I arrive Gallaudet and learned American Sign Language, 

My interaction communication skills increased, far more than I can orally. 

When I came home for Christmas, I asked my parents, 

Why didn’t we learn sign language when I was born deaf? 

The answer was, “They told us not to teach you sign language” 

That gotten me to being an activist. 

Again, Gallaudet really changed my life, I didn’t think that I would even marry because  of my limited oral communication skills 

Then life became normal after I achieved sign language skills 

I married Shirley Frelich and raised two deaf children, Clyde and Stella Then have four Deaf grandchildren. 

My analogy difference between hearing and deaf, 

Reality... 

Hearing concept is like a PC computer 

Deaf concept is like a Mac computer 

Both have different software operating system 

But they function the same 

Hope to see you all at Gallaudet Oct 2021