Report Abuse

Skip to main content

Blog #4 - John Egbert

 

John Egbert’s First Day at Gallaudet. 

During the summer of 1966, I arrived Krug Hall where new students  stayed at, around 7 am by taxi from the train station to attend summer  school for learning sign language. 

I was awed seeing some Deaf students signing very fast. 

I met an oral friend that I had I knew in New Orleans at Chinchuba and  was able to communicate via lipreading. We both walked to Chapel Hall  for a meeting around 6 or 7 pm. 

By the time we reached near Peet Hall, Frank Turk was walking fast  toward us and told us to go back to Krug Hall and tell others to attend  the meeting. 

I couldn’t communicate to other Deaf people as I didn’t know sign  language and asked my friend to call others at Krug Hall. But Frank Turk  pushed me hard and told me to go to Krug Hall. 

So I started to walk to Krug Hall and Frank Turk gave me another hard  push and said to start running. 

This was my very first day at Gallaudet! 

Thank God that I didn’t get upset and continued on enjoying being with  new Deaf friends. 

That wasn’t the last time Frank Turk physically hit me and had a lot of  experience with Frank Turk but I love Gallaudet and my new Deaf  classmates. 

I forgave Frank Turk and still a good friend with him. 

P.S. I have a lot of stories to tell. See you all at Gallaudet for the 71’  reunion with a happy face.